In less than four weeks (3 weeks and 6 days to be precise) it will be Christmas day!!!!! I hope you all have your advent calendars on standby and that in true Emmy style, they are all half eaten already!!! Perhaps just as importantly, today is ‘Giving Tuesday’ - a day to go and do good stuff for charity!!! But i’ll get to that later!!!
It has been a little while since i have written a proper blog so apologies for that but i just wanted to update you all on a few little bits and pieces - sorry for the list, but it’s a little easier and if you get bored you can skip! ???? …
1. First off, a few admin things - you might have noticed that i have changed the name of the Facebook page to ‘The Emmy “smile, love & be kind” page’ (formally EJTandemonium). This is because i felt that although our EJTandemonium adventure was truly epic, the fundraising and blog have now moved on a little and I felt that it was right that the page represent something far greater than just a bike ride and rather celebrate the legacy of everything that was our beautiful girl Emmy Coates.
2. I have also changed the Justgiving page in the same way so that the background story represents our story in its entirety rather than just the bike ride on its own.
3. You may notice the name of the Justgiving page ‘The Emmy “ smile love & be kind” fund’. This is something really special: A few weeks ago when i was visiting The Royal Marsden I met with the amazing Tara Hurley (Emmy’s nurse) and she informed me of some rather wonderful news… The head and neck unit (that looked after Emmy) have renamed the fund associated with their unit ‘The Emmy Coates Fund’. This means that even in 100 years, if money is needed for research or medications for a patient under their care it will come from ‘The Emmy Coates Fund’! How incredible is that?! What a way of remembering and celebrating Emmy. Such is the effect that she has had on the whole Hospital!! And so i felt it was perfect that any ongoing fundraising done in her memory would go to a just giving fund of the same name!!
4. In addition to this change I have also set up (albeit rather belatedly) ‘The Emmy “smile, love & be kind” team page (https://www.justgiving.com/teams/smileloveandbekind). It is an open group so if anyone wanted to set up an event no matter how big or small - whether that be a cake sale, a show, a marathon, a climb, a festival or fete to fundraise in memory of Emmy - they can set up their own Justgiving page and then link it to our ‘smile, love and be kind’ team. That way you can see your own fundraising climb whilst also seeing the other groups that are also fundraising in Emmy’s memory and it will all link to the overall fund. I did this because there has been loads of you who have been fundraising in memory of Emmy but whose money has been going to the general fund and not to our EJTandemonium total. That is obviously totally fine, but some of you have been asking me how to link it so this should make it much easier for you. Don’t worry if this doesn’t make sense to some of you - I will be adding another fundraising event next month and then it will be easier for you to see what i mean. Just keep clicking on the link above to see what fundraising is going on in Emmy’s memory.
5. I want to say a massive thank you to all of you for all of your ongoing donations! And also to all of you who have made a purchase from www.Mollivers.com this month! I have just donated the percentage of sales to the charity page for November today. Its such a nice feeling to see that total creeping up. On this note, I just want to clear up that at the beginning of November Mollivers increased the amount that it donates from ’10% of profits’ to ’10% of sale price’. This means that more is donated to charity by quite some way. For a bracelet for example valued at £88, £8.80 is donated to charity and Mollivers earns just about the same. So now for some products we are donating up to 50% of our profits!! Which is great for the fundraising and for the charity as a whole!! Aaaaaaand… ALL THE MORE REASON FOR YOU TO BUY MORE CHRISTMAS PRESENTS FROM www.mollivers.com!!! ???? (Also keep an eye out for new products coming to the Molliver’s online store soon too!! ???? …)
6. On a completely separate note, I have been absolutely blown away by the influx of messages to do school visits for art classes and book readings all over the country and even across Europe!!!!! I am so grateful! We have so many already booked in for 2018 and I am so excited that we might be able to inspire so many children in their own classrooms with the legacy that Emmy left. We have also organised a few hospital visits to some of the lovely children’s wards to do some readings and book signings too!! This is possibly the best thing that I have ever been asked to do and i am so excited as i know Emmy would have loved it too!!
7. And finally!!!! … As i mentioned today is National ‘Giving Tuesday’! What a wonderful concept! A day when, in the run up to the bulging festivities of Christmas, we are all encouraged to do something or give something to charity! So what did we do… well today I made the final payment on something I’m super excited about as I know it would have made emmy burst with happiness... A few of you will know that a few weeks ago I attended the lovely ‘Make a Wish Sports Ball’ organised by the wonderful Lexi Hambro. On the night they do their best to raise funds to make the dreams come true for children who are chronically or terminally ill. This can be something small (like a signed football shirt), or something larger (like a trip to disney land). Last year Emmy and I were lucky enough to be invited to attend as well and when we were there Emmy and I were desperate to do something for one of the children but we just couldn’t afford it. I know how much it would have meant to Emmy to help a single child’s wish come true… Particularly a child who may be staring down the barrel of a terminal diagnosis like Emmy herself. She felt so lucky that she was able to achieve so much in her last 18 months (thanks to the generosity of so many of you), ticking off her bucket list at every corner, that i know, being able to help a ‘little pickle’ (as she called them), would mean the absolute world to her…Soooo… this year, in memory of Emmy, we were able to do just that… we are sending one very gorgeous little girl on her dream holiday… I know it is what Emmy would have wanted to have done. And it is an honour and i feel very privileged to be able to help. It doesn’t matter what you give, how much, or to which charity, but you have no idea how much difference the tiniest amount could make!! If you can afford it give generously peeps - there are so many wonderful charities up and down the country that are doing exceptional work day in and day out and rely on help from people like you and me…
And on that note, I will stop rambling!
Happy Giving day everyone!! Hump-day tomorrow!!! - You got this!! ???? xxx